Saturday 4 May 2013

This is what Delicious Looks Like

When I make a dessert I usually take it to work, much to my family’s disappointment. So far everything has been a hit. One of my absolute favourite desserts at the moment is Lime Meringue Tarts. Lately I have been making them all the time and force them on my work mates. They are probably the one dessert that I get the most comments on. They are packed full of flavour, both tangy and sweet and very, very moreish.

Lime Meringue Tarts

Growing up my dad used to make Lemon Meringue Pie on special occasions for my mum. As delicious as that was I have to say I prefer the lime over lemon. There is just something about the fresh, tangy smell of lime that I can’t pass up.

My obsession with baking started after watching Masterchef for a few years. Watching it night after night I started to appreciate the taste and flavours of food more. Having a sweet tooth is what encouraged me to start baking. I am definitely a baker and not a cook.

In 2011 Kate Bracks won Masterchef and released her book The Sweet Life. This is where I found the beloved Lime Meringue Tart recipe. Her book has some truly amazing recipes some of which I have made and some of which I can’t wait to try. For anyone that loves to bake I strongly recommend investing in her book.

Quick tip for those looking to make Lime Meringue Tarts:
The first couple of times I made these tarts I struggled to get them out of the tin. I grew frustrated trying to pry them out without marking my cupcake tin. One day while surfing blogs for recipes I came across a helpful hint that has made my life so easy. It takes some time but is so worth the extra effort.
Grease a cupcake tin with butter. Tear off some baking paper, fold in half, cut along the fold and then cut into strips. Place one strip of baking paper into each cupcake whole. Place a little bit of butter on the centre on the remaining pieces of baking paper. Place these pieces in the cupcake wholes to form a cross with the already existing piece of paper.
One your tarts have set this allows you to easily pull the tarts straight out of the tin without having to use a knife.

No comments:

Post a Comment